Dual Benefits as a Probiotic Protector and a Prebiotic
Apple ProPectin™ is a proprietary blend of non-GMO apple pectin and apple fiber which, when combined with probiotics in a supplement, helps sustain the viability of the probiotics during and after digestion.
The health benefits of probiotic supplementation are often not realized because many probiotic organisms are destroyed during the digestive process and those that make it to the colon do not have adequate nutrition to survive.
Apple ProPectin™, when added to a supplement containing “live” probiotics, serves two purposes: as a probiotic delivery system, it protects the organisms from harm in the digestive tract and as a prebiotic, it is used to produce metabolic fuel by new and existing microflora in the intestines.
How Apple ProPectin™ Works
(hover over icons to learn more)
Probiotic delivery system
Why Apple ProPectin™
Compared to other probiotic delivery systems and common prebiotics, the ingredients in Apple ProPectin™ are water-extracted, naturally-occurring and hypoallergenic.
- Fact Sheet for Health Professionals. Probiotics. National Institutes of Health, Office of Dietary Supplements. 2019 June.
- Sanders ME et al. An update on the use and investigation of probiotics in health and disease. Gut. 2013; 62:787–796.
- Nagpal R. Probiotics, their health benefits and applications for developing healthier foods: a review. FEMS Microbiology Letters. 2012 Sept; 334(1): Pages 1–15.
- Aurelia P et al. Probiotics and health: An evidence-based review. Pharmacological Research 63 (2011) 366–376.
- Jihyun Kim J, Muhammad N, Jhun BH, Yoo JW. Probiotic delivery systems: a brief overview. Journal of Pharmaceutical Investigation2016; 46(4):377-386.
- Govender M et al. A Review of the Advancements in Probiotic Delivery: Conventional vs. Non-conventional Formulations for Intestinal Flora Supplementation. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2014 Feb; 15(1):29–43.
- Dafe A, Etemadi H, Dilmaghani A, Mahdavinia GR. Investigation of pectin/starch hydrogel as a carrier for oral delivery of probiotic bacteria. Int J Biol Macromol. 2017 Apr; 97:536-543.
- Larsen N, Cahú TB , Isay Saad SM , Blennow A , Jespersen L. The effect of pectins on survival of probiotic Lactobacillus spp. in gastrointestinal juices is related to their structure and physical properties. Food Microbiol. 2018 Sep; 74:11-20.
- Sharma BR, Naresh L, Dhuldhoya NC, Merchant SU, Merchant UC. An Overview on Pectins. Times Food Processing Journal, 2006 June-July; 44-51.
- Petrova P, Petrov KK. Prebiotic–Probiotic Relationship: The Genetic Fundamentals of Polysaccharides Conversion by Bidobacterium and Lactobacillus Genera. Food Bioconversion 2017. 237-278.
- Slavin J. Fiber and Prebiotics: Mechanisms and Health Benefits. Nutrients. 2013 Apr; 5(4): 1417–1435.
- Kaczmarczyka MM, Miller MJ, Freunda GG. The health benefits of dietary fiber: Beyond the usual suspects of type 2 diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular disease and colon cancer. Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental. 2012 Aug; 61(8): 1058-1066.
- Lee YL , Cesario T, Owens J, Shanbrom E, Thrupp LD. Antibacterial activity of citrate and acetate. Nutrition. 2002 Jul-Aug; 18(7-8):665-6.
- Waldecker M et al. Histone-deacetylase inhibition and butyrate formation: Fecal slurry incubations with apple pectin and apple juice extracts. Nutrition. 2008 Apr; 24(4):366-74.
- Chen Y, Xu C, Huang R, Song J, Li D, Xia M. Butyrate from pectin fermentation inhibits intestinal cholesterol absorption and attenuates atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein deficient mice. J Nutr Biochem. 2018 Jun; 56:175-182.
- Lara-Espinoza C, Carvajal-Millán E, Balandrán-Quintana R, López-Franco Y, Rascón-ChuPectin A. Pectin-Based Composite Materials: Beyond Food Texture. Molecules. 2018 Apr; 23(4): 942.
- Chung WSF et al. Prebiotic potential of pectin and pectic oligosaccharides to promote anti-inflammatory commensal bacteria in the human colon. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2017 Nov 1;93(11).
- Ho YY, Lin CM, Wu MC. Evaluation of the prebiotic effects of citrus pectin hydrolysate. Journal of Food and Drug Analysis. 2017 July; 25(3): 550-558.